Creating a Global Workforce: We serve as an incubator of bilingual talent and pipeline for employers to tap qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds. Our flagship initiative “Reaching New Heights” is an economic engine that provides low-income, underemployed and unemployed multicultural trainees with professional careers. Our program expands professional career pathways for immigrants who have nontraditional challenges entering the workforce. Our graduates are now working at BB&T, Howard Bank, MECU, PNC, State Farm, Wells Fargo and other organizations, earning up between $9,000 and $42,000 more in wages, plus benefits.
Awarding College Scholarships, making higher education attainable for underrepresented communities: The Featherstone College Scholarships annually awards merit-based scholarships to help level the playing field so that obtaining a four-year college degree can be possible. These special awards encourage first- generation college students, from economically challenged backgrounds, to pursue higher education. Over the past three years, we have awarded 28 scholarships to empower a new generation of student leaders.
Improving Digital Literacy for Immigrant Communities: Our signature, computer literacy program, Empowering Latinos One “Click” at a Time, provides Latino immigrant parents basic computer skills. As a result, our trainees have better employment opportunities and can better support their children academically.
Hosting Baltimore’s Only Spanish-Language Financial Empowerment Conference: Our annual financial education conference, Mi Dinero, Mi Destino, equips participants with practical skills and vital information to help shape critical personal finance decisions.
- Maryland Governor’s Citation for promoting economic growth (2016)
- Community Service Award, Baltimore Gas and Electric (2016)
- Community Service Award, Greater Mondawmin Coordinating Council (2016)
- Nonprofit of the Year Award, Maryland Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (2015)
- Community Service Award, Latino Providers’ Network (2015)
- Family Engagement Award, English Language Learner Family Involvement Network (2015)
- Community Service Award, Winchester Homes (2008)
Lanaea Featherstone’s Accolades
- The Daily Record Newspaper’s “Leading Women Award” (2018)
- Women on the Move Award, Associated Black Charities (2017)
- The Daily Record Newspaper, VIP Award (2016)
- Open Society Institute Baltimore Fellowship (2013)
The William & Lanaea C. Featherstone Foundation
11101 Resort Road, #107
Ellicott City, MD 21042
Twitter | @FeatherstoneFdn
Facebook | https://www.facebook.com/FeatherstoneFdn